Purpose of Role:
The Buyer is responsible for identifying the goods required by the company. They identify external material needs of the organization, find services providers who can supply these goods, negotiate for prices and arrange for the purchase and delivery of the goods.
- Manage ingredients and components for fresh food manufacturer.
- Work within multiple product categories to ensure complete supply chain loop.
- Manage vendor relationships, inventory levels and material movements in a fresh, Just in Time environment.
- Adhere to product replenishment and inventory control processes.
- Manage vendors and evaluate service levels to ensure competitive service and products within assigned category.
- Product replenishment of assigned categories.
- Inventory control and improvement.
- Negotiate pricing, transportation and payment terms with vendors.
- Provide ordering and troubleshooting of orders.
- Create strategies to improve categories.
- Monitor inventory levels and resolve discrepancies.
- Using ERP application compile data and reporting.
- Contact vendors in order to schedule or expedite deliveries and to resolve shortages, missed or late deliveries, and other problems.
- Source new items through various research channels. Order samples and follow up with the R&D Department to determine usability.
- Authorize payment of invoices or return of merchandise.
- Confer with other departments regarding upcoming projects and possible pitfalls.
- Conduct and participate in vendor meetings and business reviews.
- Prepare and distribute vendor communication.
- Partner with Accounting Department to resolve discrepancies.
- Represent the department in the absence of the Manager.
- Respond to questions from other departments in a timely and thorough fashion
Work Experience and Qualifications Expected:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent food industry/CPG experience
- Have prior success working in a professional business environment, purchasing or material planning experience preferred
- Manage own time and organize workload with minimal supervision
- Demonstrate above-average computer skills particularly spreadsheet, database and internet research skills
- Have experience with ERP applications is a plus
- Possess intermediate math skills including algebra and statistics
- Exercise sound judgment and demonstrate advanced problem-solving ability
- Communicate clearly and effectively with emphasis on phone and e-mail skills
- Be punctual and conscientious with regard to all company policies and procedures